Skip to main content

The Elk

 

The water table is very high here in New Orleans, so most cemeteries are full of mausoleums rather than graves. There is a life sized elk on top of a tomb that we drive by on every trip. 

The Internet tells me that it is the tomb of Lodge no.30 of the Benevolent Order of Elks. Said order was actors benevolent fund, founded by the wonderfully named Charles Algernon Sidney Vivian, but it seems to have mutated into something like the Freemasons. I am very taken with the elk on his mound. If you’re going to have a tomb, go big I say. I wish I was able to take a better photo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abbaye Sainte-Marie-de-la-Pierre-qui-Vire

  Deep in the woods… …you can find a magnificent… …Benedictine Abbey, which you may have heard of, as they make very good cheese. Although the place dates from the last century, there is an atmosphere of deep calm and tranquility. Deeper into the woods… …there is a hidden delight… …a little glade… …with a statue of the Virgin Mary. It is an extraordinary place.

Église st Jean Baptiste - Moulins-Engilbert

For a small, sleepy place…Moulins-Engilbert…  …has a very large church. It is… …rather… …lovely… …with lots to see… …beautiful… …carving… …and lovely old wooden pews. And as well… …as these lovely faces… …there are… …some glorious statues in the crypt. However, what most spoke to me was the war memorial… …including my hostˋs grandfather.

Corbigny past and present

  Itˋs still too damn hot, but I managed a trip out to Corbigny, where there is a lovely toy shop… …interesting mediaeval bits and pieces… …fun shop signs… …a great place to drink coffee and watch the world go by… …suitably mad French cars… …and baffling street furniture… …and a chilling reminder that not that long ago, people like you and me were taken away and annihilated. Remember them, never forget, never again.